Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Joys of Bed Rest

The Joys of Bed Rest

Bed Rest sucks....sorry mom....there just isn't a polite and lady like way of saying it! Laying on a couch or bed all day is torturous if you are like me. My head is filled with all of these things that I could be doing, but I simply can't....even though I feel ok to do so. I ask the question....why can't I if I feel ok? The answer: "You're feeling ok because you are doing so little, so it's NOT ok to cheat. You are allowed to get up to go to the bathroom or to make myself a sandwich. Everything else is off limits." Awesome....sounds like a fun time!


Since I have WAAAAAY too much time on my hands I've been doing alot of looking online at things. I found a site of helpful hints for those on pregnancy bed rest. Let's see if any of them will help me.....keep in mind....this is only day 7 of bed rest! hahaha.

1. Shop online.  
HA! I got that one mastered Friday! From talking to a few people the last couple of days I realized I needed a few items, so what better way to get them then to click, click, click away! Shhhhh - don’t tell Jeff! However...I’m only doing what the doctor told me to do! Relax and enjoy my alone time while it lasts!
First item: Return Labels......ohhhhhh ahhhhhh!! So exciting huh? I figured we'd need some for birth announcements or something so why not. Thanks Vistaprint!
Second item: A Nightgown.....yes I said it.....a nightgown and no I didn't have to go to my grandmothers old clothes bin! Someone told me that after delivery you will want that johnie out of site and will want sweats on. BUT....if you wear sweats it will be a big pain because doctors and nurses will constantly be checking you out down under.....therefore a nightgown is more practical. Can you all picture me in a nice floral lace 1960's nightie?? I bought a tee-shirt night gown from VS and it was on SALE!
 

Third item: A Vera Bradley Wristlet to go with my diaper bag. Many girls responded to my post about what should go in a diaper bag. One thing that I never really thought about what carrying a diaper bag and then carrying my purse along with it. I don't want to be a "Bag Lady" so one piece of advice was to get the wristlet that can hook right on to the diaper bag. It was on CLEARANCE too!!  : ) 
2. Catch up on photo albums/scrapbooking. I think I'll wait until after Baby D arrives for this one. I don't keep many albums anymore.....everything is on the computer or Facebook.
3.  Journal.   Most of my writing has been done right here on my blog. I'd like to write a letter to the little guy, but I think I'll wait another week or so for that one :  )
4. Play with your kids. Can't really do that one : ) 
5. Watch a lot of movies/TV shows. I've talked to my girls and have started DVRing every known trashy reality TV show known to man! haha. I need something to keep me entertained!
So far my TV watching goes as scheduled:
  1. Wake up and turn on the TODAY show.
  2. Kelly and Michael at 9
  3. TODAY show again with Hoda and Kathie Lee
  4. DVR programs: 
    1. Teen Mom, 
    2. Dance Moms, 
    3. Millionaire Matchmaker, 
    4. Shahs of Sunset
    5. Beyond Scared Straight, 
    6. Catfish,
    7. Revenge
    8. Vanderpump Rules
    9. Tosh.0
There are a few others, but can't think of them right now.....those are just the ones I watched the last couple of days! haha. Then at 4 it's Ellen and then I pray to God that Jeff comes home before I go LOCO!

6. Do crafty things. Does PINTEREST count???  : )  My boards are going to be filled with ideas! I may not be able to indulge in all my craftiness laying here, but at least I can pin some goodies! Organizing is at the top of my list.
7. Read and read and read and read.  A coworker gave me some reading material to get started on...thanks Jenn! I am not a baby book reader....kind of freaks me out, but this one is a little different. I've heard great things and a good laugh is never bad! I have it on my bed stand.

8. Take your friends up on their offers of help.  My mom came over yesterday and washed some baby clothes....anyone that gets bored feel free to come over...anytime!!! You don't have to do anything for me......just sit next to me!! haha
9. Stay social. Thank goodness for e-mail, the phone, and Facebook to keep from feeling completely isolated from the outside world.  My maternity sub even texts me throughout the day, so I still feel connected at work! I'm awaiting a FACETIME lunch conversation with my lunch crew! That should be hilarious!
10. Crossword puzzles.  Not me.
11. Blog.   On it!
12. Let yourself feel just a little bit bad for yourself every once in a while.  It’s okay to feel a little bummed out that this is happening.  It’s a bummer, but my goodness....I DON'T want to be one of those people who complains and then facebook complains about every little thing!! I am so thankful and blessed for this bundle of joy coming our way! Laying around isn't the worst thing in the world although it may seem like it...it can always be worse! Keep your head up and stay positive!
13. Live vicariously through others.  This one might be a little hard.....if I should have been there I don't know if I want to hear all the details....it will make me feel like I'm missing out! haha
14. Enjoy the restful/alone times while they last.  This is the one I’m trying to stay focused on. While it can be boring and crazy-making, it is also a really restful time in my life and I should take advantage of it.  While Jeff is at work, I can play music, read, nap, or watch something with no internal guilt over “I should be DOING something.”  Those busy days will come again. There will be a newborn and I will be washing dishes, doing laundry, cooking and cleaning again — for now, I rest. You all heard me! I admitted that I will rest!
I'm going to add my own to this list.
15. Call a cleaning service. This may not seem important, but to me I feel VERY GUILTY about just laying here while Jeff works hard all day long. If I were him I would be aggravated that my wife is home all day and is in the same place when he leaves and comes home with the house looking exactly as it did hours before. I know I am not supposed to be doing anything, but I think I would feel better if the house was spic and span clean and I didn't have to worry about it or secretly hope Jeff would pick up a toliet brush or broom!! I got some recommendations from neighbors and plan on calling someone next week.
I feel like I started today's blog sounding negative and ended by sounding on the upside! Hmmmmm.....blogging helps put things into perspective - haha. However...if anyone has any tips or ideas of things for me to do let me know!
The most important thing is a healthy baby!!






1 comment:

  1. You should read the Jenny McCarthy book- I am not a reader at all either but laugh out loud reading it :)

    ReplyDelete